Sunday, May 9, 2010

MAY 9 - WEEK 60 RESULTS AND "MARK'S DAILY APPLE"

This week I gained 0.8 pounds.
Beginning weight – 141.0 pounds
Ending weight – 141.8 pounds

Here is an average of my daily food intake for this past week:

1993 Calories
150.3g Fat (67.9%)
110.3g Protein
49.9g Carbs
24.3g Fiber
25.6g net carbs, of which 12.5g came from veggies

It is a comfort to think that there are people "out there" who care about me enough to comment or lend advice or send a hug.

I have already been deciding (today, before I read your comments) that I am going to take a break from tracking, at least for a week, if I can stop myself!

I've been doing some reading on a website called “Mark’s Daily Apple” (right click here to visit that webiste) which I highly recommend) and have found that it agrees with Atkins about 95% or so, and one of the things that it says is to try not tracking and just eating right. Mark Sisson, the author of the website, has a new book out, called “Primal Blueprint" (right click here to check out the book), and I ordered it online. It should be here in several days.

So, starting tomorrow, I am going to attempt that. The only problem (don't laugh!) is that I want to track what I am eating so that later on, I can see what the results of my "not tracking" are!

It is so hard to not track! It is a pain sometimes, and I wish I did not have to do it, but I always find myself wanting to know the data, so that I can make decisions based on it.

I remember when I first started Atkins in March 2009, I did not track and just tried to follow the recommendations, and I did not lose weight.

Here is something else I am thinking, too, in response to all of your concerns: You say that I should not worry, because I recently had surgery, but this not-losing-weight thing (and actually, according to my doctor, I have been losing muscle and gaining fat since August 2009) has been going on for many months, so I don't think I can blame the surgery or my recovery on it. I was on a plateau for 8 months, then broke it several weeks ago, and now I have gained it all back and then some, and now I am steadily gaining just a little every day.

I am also anxious to start going to the gym again. It has been over 7 weeks since the last time I exercised in any way, due to severe pain and other unpleasantness for a few weeks before the surgery and then the surgery itself and recovery time.

I am going back to the doctor on May 25th and he will measure my body fat again. I've got a bad feeling about the results.

As long as I am telling you all about my stress, I will drop this little nugget on you: On May 31st, I am being interviewed by Jimmy Moore for his podcast. I was excited at first, because I was losing when he asked me, but now I am gaining and feeling like a failure and I'm not sure what to say on the show. I don't want to come off as saying "Atkins doesn't work." I guess right now, I just don't have a positive testimony.

I guess that is another reason I am so anxious to lose weight again, so that I can be in a "losing" state when I am on the show and do you all proud.

Someone said that it might be that my body has reached it's ideal weight. At 38% body fat, I think that is unlikely.

One of the reasons that my doctor wants me to get to 25% body fat (or so) is that estrogen is produced by adipose tissue (fat) and it is one of the reasons I am estrogen dominant, which causes additional weight gain.

So you can see that it is a vicious circle: The more body fat you have, the more estrogen you make, which causes you to put on more body fat, which produces more estrogen, which causes you to put on more body fat, which produces more estrogen... Well, I think you get the picture!

I had very lovely dinner last night at my son's house. I was delighted to see that my daughter-in-law fixed roasted chicken leg and thigh quarters and roasted veggies, including carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, red bell peppers and potatoes. It was yummy! I had all the veggies, and two bites of the potatoes. I declined the Diet Coke and drank water. Then, for dessert, she served homemade puff pastry with whipped cream filling with fresh strawberries and drizzled with just a little chocolate. It looked like it came out of a magazine! WOW!

So it was an Atkins-friendly dinner and a sinful dessert.

I also managed to get in bed reading by 10 pm and lights out around 10:30. I'll try to do better tonight - my goal is in bed by 9 pm and lights out by 10.

I woke up in the middle of the night to tinkle, and when I got back in bed, I heard birds singing! It was later than I though - 4:50 am. I tried to go back to sleep, but my husband kept breathing in my direction and keeping me awake. I usually wake up and get up around 7:30 each morning.

After 30 minutes of listening to all the various vocalizations and nose whistles my husband was making, I got the crazy idea to get up and go for a walk. I got up and looked at the thermometer (40 degrees) and got back into bed. I still couldn't sleep. All I could think of was that I wanted to go for a walk. It was as though I was being compelled to do it, and at 6:00, I gave in to the urge and got bundled up and headed out.

It didn't seem as cold as I thought it would be, and by the time I had walked briskly for 45 minutes, my coat was tied around my waist and I had worked up a sweat. It was so lovely to be out at that time of morning, listening to all the birds and knowing that most of the houses I walked past contained sleeping people.

There are a few new houses being built in my neighborhood, and I took the opportunity to sneak into two of them and look around. Then back home to weigh and measure.

While I have been gaining weight this past week, some people have said that I may not have gained inches. Sadly, I did. It seems like everything is going south!

In the past 7 days:

I lost 1/4” from my bust
I gained 1/2” around my navel
I gained 1/2” around my hips
I gained 1/4" around my thighs
I gained 1/4” around my calves

Here are my measurements today:

12.5" - neck
12" - bicep
9" - forearm
36" - bust
30" - midriff
29.5" - waist
34" - navel
39" - hips
22.25" - thighs
13.75" - calves

But, I am happy to report, I have lost weight this morning - 1.2 pounds! That makes me feel better, which it shouldn't, because my body size is bigger, but I'll take what I can get!

According to the scale, I have gained 1 pound in the last 7 days.
According to my 1-week average, I gained 2.2 pounds in the last 7 days.
According to my 4-week average, I have lost 0.1 pounds in the last 7 days.

According to the scale, I have gained 0.6 pounds in the last 4 weeks.
According to my 1-week average, I have lost 0.2 pounds in the last 4 weeks.
According to my 4-week average, I have gained 0.5 pounds in the last 4 weeks.

I have decided to go off of dairy for awhile and see what happens. But I'll have to start that tomorrow, because I already had the ingredients to make Eggs Florentine with Cheese Sauce for breakfast this morning, and it contains both cheddar cheese and heavy cream.

Due to the amount of stress I have been under as of late, I'm thinking about going back to my yoga class that meets once a week. I was going last summer, and I really liked it, but I had a bad shoulder and the poses were aggravating it, so I quit.

Now the other shoulder is inflamed, so I don't know whether yoga will work out or not, but I think I'm going to go tomorrow.

Today, Bill and I just went out and about, to the mall and the bookstore. Although today is Mother's Day, there is no celebration for me, because I had that yesterday at my son's house, and my sweet daughter is so far away. I spent today pretending that we were together. Bill went out before breakfast, and bought home flowers and a card.

I made no plans on what to eat today, except that it was Atkins-friendly. I did not measure and weigh or put it on Fitday.

I usually weigh in the morning at 7:30. This morning I weighed at 6:00. After my walk, I weighed again at 7:30. I lost another 0.2 pounds. Guess which weight I'm going to use for my official one? LOL!

141.0 - 05/02
142.0 - 05/03
141.8 - 05/04
142.8 - 05/05
142.6 - 05/06
142.8 - 05/07
143.2 - 05/08
141.8 - 05/09

I am still at the point where I am heavier than I was 4 weeks ago, so I can't tell what my goal date is, because if my weight does what it has done in the past 4 weeks, I will steadily gain weight, not lose weight.

After my walk, I sat down at the computer for about 20 minutes, and when I stood up, every muscle in my body screamed, "Sit back down!!!" Then, a minute later, one of my toes decided to fold down under my foot. Ouchy ba ba ba.

I need to get more active! HA!

Happy Mother's Day, everyone!

I had lunch at Culver's. A double bacon cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, pickles and mayo, without bun, and a small side salad with blue cheese dressing.

While we were at the bookstore, I saw Mark Sisson’s book, so I sat down and read it for about 20 minutes. I did not buy it, because mine is ordered and on the way.

I splurged and had a piece of sugar-free dark chocolate with pecans at the mall.

Dinner is a grilled ribeye with butter, garlic powder and sea salt, and roasted asparagus with my butter/mayo sauce.

Dessert is about 4 oz. of fresh strawberries. Yes, I weighed them, to make sure I did not go crazy, but I did not put them on fitday.

It is 9 pm and I am going to bed to read until I get sleepy, just like I planned.

Good night, Neverland!

No comments:

Post a Comment