Thursday, April 1, 2010

APRIL 1, 2010 - GOOD NEWS AND BAD NEWS

I went to see the doctor this morning.

The good news is that my doctor does not think it is cancer, although I still have to have a biopsy done on April 9th, just to make sure.

The bad news is that the tumor is gigantic, has pretty much taken over my uterus and cannot be surgically removed without getting a hysterectomy.

The good news is that there is a drug I can take that will reduce the size of the tumor to make it operable and save the uterus.

The bad news is that it will take three months to shrink it, and so I can not have surgery until August.

The good news is that, by taking the drug for the next three months, the tumor will be shrinking and causing me less pain, etc., as time goes on. So no more trips to the ER.

The bad news is that the drug has to be injected once a month, so I have to have three shots. Ouchy.

The good news is that I can continue my bio-identical hormone replacement while I am having these injections.

So, all things considered, a little bad news and mostly good news!

The last time I saw this doctor was twelve years ago. He said he thinks I look younger now than when he saw me in 1998. What a great bedside manner!

I told him how healthy I have become in the last year, and I showed him my profile in the new Atkins book. He was very excited and high-fived me, and then had me show it to the nurses and others that were in the front office.

The size of fibroids varies immensely among women and some are so small that a microscope is required to see them. However some women experience a single large fibroid tumor the size of a grapefruit or a fibroid which is so large it encompasses the entire abdominal area. Such large tumors can weigh as much as 50 pounds; the largest, reported, fibroid ever recorded weighed in at 140 pounds.

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Can mine weigh 140 pounds???

No comments:

Post a Comment