Wednesday, February 25, 2009

FEBRUARY 25, 2009 - MY BREAKING POINT

My health life is in a shambles. I am thirty pounds overweight and miserable. 158 pounds on a 5'3" body is never pretty, and it is the most I have ever weighed. I weighed less than 158 pounds when I was nine months pregnant!

I am 46% body fat, and my muscles have wasted away to practically nothing. I am getting no exercise. My hormones are totally out of whack. Everything I am eating, or try to stick to eating, is extremely low calorie and low fat. And hundreds and hundreds of carbs per day! Basically, I am eating the Standard American Diet! And the S.A.D. iss making me sad, indeed!

I'm writing this blog to try to put into words what is happening to me and where I am going from here. It will also help me keep track of all my results with my weight loss, health goals and other miscellaneous stuff as it comes up in my life. I hope that anyone reading this will either find it interesting in some way, or be helped by it. If numbers make your head hurt, you might want to stop reading now! Feel free to comment or ask questions if you like.

Just in case you don’t know me, here is a little background:

I am 53 years old and 5’3” tall. I have low thyroid, low testosterone, low progesterone and estrogen dominance, all of which make losing weight a real challenge. If you are around my age, you probably have some of these problems, too, for decreasing hormones happens as you age.

I was normal weight until I hit my thirties, although I thought I was fat as a child and teen. I weighed 118 pounds when I was 18 years old, and how I wish I could go back there!

Once, when I was in my late twenties, I starved myself down from 125 to 113 pounds. The day I realized that the thought of chewing food was making me feel grossed out, I knew I had to start eating again or I would develop an eating disorder. I did eat, and gained back the weight I had lost.

From the time I was 30 years old until just recently, I slowly but surely gained around 40 pounds, even though my eating habits had not changed. I tried every diet in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment